Black rice is also majestically known as the forbidden rice as it was reserved for only the emperors in China, but it's now widely available and it has an amazing nutritional profile. It's dense and flavourful, high anti-oxidant properties, vitamins and levels of iron make it a great vegetarian protein. Spiced roasted chickpeas, rich toasted almonds, minerally herbs and juicy pomegranate seeds create a filling, colourful salad that can be enjoyed hot or cold, as a main meal by itself or as a side. It’s easy to make in advance, simply keep the dressing until the last minute and then toss through the grains if enjoying cold.
Free from gluten and dairy. Vegan.
Total Time 50 minutes
- 2 cups black rice
- 1¼ teaspoons cumin
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 red onion finely sliced
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup toasted almond flakes
- 1/3 cup sun dried tomatoes (optional)
- 1 small bunch coriander chopped
- pomegranate seeds to serve
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey (maple syrup for vegans)
- seasoning to taste
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C/ 350F.
- Bring a pan of cold water, 1 teaspoon of cumin and the rice to boil, then lower the temperature and simmer for 35-40 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix your chickpeas, red onion, ¼ teaspoon cumin, paprika, turmeric and olive oil together ensuring all the spices coat the chickpeas and onion.
- On a lined baking tray spread out your chickpeas and onions and roast for 20 minutes.
- To make the dressing, simply whisk together the tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, honey and seasoning.
- Once your rice is cooked and drained, mix through the chickpeas, onion and dressing.
- Top with almond flakes, sun dried tomatoes, coriander and pomegranate seeds. Enjoy hot or cold!