Weekday breakfasts naturally tend to revolve around easy to prepare, quick and simple options, however the lazy early hours on Saturdays and Sundays lend themselves to making a bit more of an occasion out of breakfast.
These are light but hearty fritters, with a zesty, sharp taste of the lemon and creamy tahini yoghurt contrasts nicely. Make sure you really squeeze the water out of the courgettes before creating the batter so that your fritters don't become soggy and crisp up well in the pan. Serve warm, with a dollop of lemony, earthy yoghurt and some salad for an hearty brunch or breakfast.
Free from gluten and dairy. Vegetarian.
Total Time 30minutes
- 2 large courgettes
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon gram flour or almond flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 150grams plain yoghurt (goats, soya)
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- Grate the courgettes into a bowl and season with a large pinch of sea salt. Set aside and prepare the other ingredients.
- Mix together the tahini yoghurt ingredients, note that the yoghurt will slightly thicken once mixed with the tahini.
- Place the grated courgette in a muslim or tea towel and twisting the material squeeze out the liquid from the vegetables.
- Once you've squeezed out all the water you can out of the grated courgette, mix together with the parsley, lemon zest, flour and beaten egg.
- Heat a little oil in large non-stick pan, divide the mix into 4 and dollop into the pan, cooking for 5 minutes or so before flipping and cooking the other side evenly.
- Serve warm with the tahini yoghurt.