Bircher muesli was originally created in the 19th Century by Physician and Nutrition pioneer Maxamillian Bircher-Benner as a medicinal and nutritional therapeutic breakfast. Balanced, full of fibre, no added sugar and cholesterol lowering benefits, Bircher muesli is a fuss free breakfast that can be made in advance and can be topped with anything you want.
I wanted to celebrate the late winter flavours in this Bircher Muesli with warming cinnamon and ginger and the sweetness of new season rhubarb. Prepare these oats in the evening and allow the flavours to develop overnight and the oats to become soft and silky. Toasting the nuts and seeds may seem like an extra step but not only does it enrich the flavour it softens making them easier to digest. While the overnight soaking of the other ingredients performs the same purpose and allows nutrients to be more readily absorbed.
Free from gluten, dairy and vegan.
Prep Time 15 minutes
- 1 heaped tablespoon flaked almonds
- 1 heaped tablespoon chopped brazil nuts
- ½ tablespoon sunflower seeds
- ½ tablespoon linseeds
- ½ tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup (gluten free) oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ cup coconut yoghurt
- ½ cup apple juice
- ½ cup almond milk
- ½ apple, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- a generous squeeze of lemon
- 4 stalks of rhubarb
- juice of and zest of an orange
- pinch of ground ginger
- Heat the oven to 160C.
- Spread the nuts and seeds across a baking tray and place in the oven for 5 – 8 minutes until lightly toasted. Set aside and alllow to cool.
- Combine your nuts, seeds, oats, cinnamon and yoghurt in a large bowl and cover with your other liquids.
- Grate in the ginger and apple, I like to use the finer side of the grater for the apple as it gives a gentler flavour and texture.
- Finish with a generous squeeze of lemon and stir the ingredients together.
- Cover and store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Slice the rhubarb stalks into roughly 1 inch long pieces, place in a shallow dish with the juice and zest of an orange and a pinch of ground ginger.
- Allow to simmer at low heat for roughly 10 minutes until soft.
- Allow to cool and place in an air - tight container in the fridge.
- Top the Bircher Muesli with a dollop of fruit before serving.
NB: Although oats are naturally gluten free, they can often be cross contaminated so if you are sensitive or allergic to gluten choose specifically gluten free oats. However often gluten free porridge oats can be quite fine so look for rolled varieties for a more robust grain.