Whether you know it as Mulled Wine, Gluwein, Vin Chaud or even Glogg, there is nothing more Christmassy than the aromas of warm spices and oranges wafting through the air as you wrap mittened hands around a hot glass of spiced wine. Nothing will make your home smell more delicious and inviting, so make a batch in advance or reheat gently for friends and family.
Warming cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg wrap around the tarter flavour of peppercorns while simmering away and the sweet orange flesh releases its juices making a very aromatic drink. Be careful not to overheat the mulled wine and boil it as this will diminish the flavours. Red wine is surprisingly high in anti-oxidants and often compared to many other drinks it is relatively low in additives but do try and seek out the best quality, organic wine where possible. Shop bought Mulled Wine is often over sweetened with refined products and sugar so my version uses honey to take the edge off and lets you control your sugar intake during the festive season.
Free from gluten, dairy and Vegan friendly.
Prep Time 15minutes
- 1 bottle red wine
- 6 cloves
- 6 cardamon cloves
- 6 pink peppercorns
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey (supplement maple syrup for vegans)
- an orange thickly sliced
- a thumb sized piece of ginger, thickly sliced
- to serve - cranberries and sliced apple
- Place the spices, honey, orange and ginger into a pan with a cup of water. Bring to the boil and simmer until the water is nearly all gone.
- Add the red wine and allow the wine to warm through, roughly 5 - 8 minutes.
- Strain and decorate with fresh cranberries and sliced apple.