Duck is a traditional Chinese restaurant favourite, but I think like most people I tend to be a little bit intimidated to cook different meats outside my comfort zone and don't often cook it myself. It's a shame because it's rich, distinctive taste is delicious and simple to cook. The trick with duck is to really let the skin crisp up in the pan, far longer than you might think before finishing it off in the oven.
The gamey, rich taste of the duck traditionally sits well with aromatic Chinese spices. Freshened up in this salad with cool, crisp vegetables and juicy, sweet pops of fruit. A complete salad in itself or serve with brown rice noodles or jasmine rice to feed a crowd.
Free from gluten and dairy.
Total Time 30minutes
- 4 duck breasts
- 250g trimmed green beans
- 1/2 cucumber
- 2 plums
- a couple of handfuls of salad leaves to garnish
- seeds from 1/4 pomegranate or a generous handful
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablesponns avocado oil (you could also use rapeseed oil)
- 2 teaspoons apple cyder vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- small scrap of garlic, finely grated
- a pinch of ground Chinese Five Spice
To cook the duck:
- Heat the oven to 220C.
- Pat dry the duck breasts and score the skin with a sharp knife, season with salt and pepper.
- Wipe a small dab of coconut oil on a non-stick frying pan, place the duck breasts skin side down in the pan and cook on medium heat for 8minutes until the skin is golden brown.
- Remove the duck breasts from the pan and place crispy skin side up on a racked roasting tin in the middle of the oven, cook for 10minutes.
- Remove the duck breasts from the oven and allow to stand for 10minutes before slicing to add to the salad.
- While your duck is cooking arrange the salad and dressing. Start by steaming the beans for a few minutes over a large pan of boiling water, once cooked but still crunchy run the beans under cold water to keep them fresh and crunchy.
- Using a potato peeler shave the cucumber into strips and thinly slice the plums. Toss the beans, cucumber, plums, leaves and pomegranate seeds together.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together, lay the sliced duck breast ontop of the salad and drizzle over the dressing immediately before serving.