I was inspired to make this salad after a trip to New York, when the health scene was just starting to blossom in London it was in full swing across the pond. Every restaurant had a kale salad on the menu in various guises, and kale really is a nutritional powerhouse. A member of the brassica family, kale contains 100% of our daily requirements for vitamins A, C and K and with high anti-inflammatory benefits.
Massaging the kale may sound a little crazy but it helps break down the tough leaves and makes them easier to digest. For those with digestive issues I would suggest gently steaming to kale for a minute or two before tossing with the other ingredients.
Free from gluten, dairy and Vegan.
Total Time 10 Minutes
- 1 bunch curly kale
- ½ cup toasted flaked almonds (plus extra for garnishing)
- 4 carrots- peeled
- 1 bulb of fennel
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- Juice & zest of 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed oil
- Start by grating or finely chopping your carrots, then leave them to marinate in the orange juice and zest.
- Next remove the hard stalks of the kale and tear into small bite size pieces.
- Slice your fennel as thinly as possible through the bulb.
- Mix your carrots (plus any remaining orange juice & zest), kale, fennel, toasted almonds and dried cranberries together in a large bowl.
- For the dressing whisk together the oil and honey and toss through the kale, using your hands give the kale a "massage", gently letting the leaves break down and becoming easier to digest.
- Toss through the other ingredients and finish with a sprinkling of toasted almonds.