I love this vibrant and crunchy salad served simply with some grilled fish or sticky chicken, the last time I made it I took it for a pot luck dinner with noodles thrown through. Its rich colours means it is bursting with anit- oxidants, while the sea vegetables provide vital marine nutrients we all benefit from, it’s an overall alkalizing and cleansing dream salad as well as being delicious.
Free from gluten, dairy and Vegan.
Total Time 30 minutes
- small handful (15g) of sea vegetables (or referred to as seaweed)
- ½ red cabbage
- 2 tablespoons apple cyder vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey (or maple syrup for vegans)
- 2 large carrots
- ½ cucumber
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- small bunch of mint, finely chopped
- small bunch of coriander, finely chopped
- ½ cup (50g) crushed salted, roasted peanuts
- Start by rinsing the sea vegetables and set aside to soak in lukewarm water for 10 minutes.
- Once soaked and soft, drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile heat the apple cyder vinegar and honey in a non- stick pan, and using a sharp knife or mandolin thinly slice the red cabbage, rinse and pat dry thoroughly.
- Once the vinegar and honey are hot but not smoking, turn off the heat and toss the red cabbage through, making sure it is all coated. Set aside.
- Peel your carrots and cucumber, removing the soft cucumber seeds too, and slice into very thin matchsticks, or julienne.
- Toss together your red cabbage, cucumber, carrot, sea vegetables, sesame seeds, herbs and finally top with the crushed peanuts. If making in advance save assembling until the last minute.