Summer soups often tend to be cool and light, but usually we can't rely on the bright, hot weather all summer long. This chunky but creamy soup speaks of summer with it's sweet and nourishing flavours, rich in carotenoid anti-oxidants and fibre this soup is easy to digest and with the coconut milk makes it satisfyingly filling without adding cream. Spiced sweet potato chips are an indulgent treat to scoop out mouthfuls with.
We are lucky in England not to be exposed to a lot of GM foods, however a lot of corn in other countries can now can be genetically modified it’s best to stick to buying organic when you can.
Free from gluten, dairy and Vegan.
Serves 2 as a main, 4 as a starter or side
Total Time 35 minutes
- 4 corn on the cobs (or if using frozen 4 cups of frozen sweetcorn)
- olive or coconut oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 stick of celery chopped
- 3 cups (600ml) vegetable stock
- 2 cups (400ml) coconut milk
- pinch of nutmeg
- to serve, optional chopped chives
- Start by shucking the corn, peeling off the outer layers and removing all stringy bits. Carefully using a sharp knife slice the corn off the cob.
- In a large saucepan heat a generous amount of oil and add the onion, garlic, celery and sweetcorn. On a low heat cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and coconut milk and cook for a further 20 minutes (if using frozen corn you might only want to cook for another 10, so not to loose the flavour).
- Blend thoroughly, add a pinch of nutmeg and chives if using, serve warm.
SPICED SWEET POTATO CHIPS
Serves 4 as a garnish
Total Time 45minutes
- 1 large sweet potato or 2 small
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- olive oil
- Pre heat the oven to 180C/ 350F.
- Thinly slice your sweet potato, lay on a lined baking tray sprinkling with cinnamon, paprika, sea salt and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Roast for 40 minutes.